Friday, April 8, 2011

Race Nutrition

I asked Lincoln Murdock the following questions and I thought I would post his response

"Can I get your overview of what hammer products and how much I should be taking? During training/racing/recovering."

Thought I'd send this to everyone in case anyone else had a similar question. The last two long rides I've done, I've alternated each hour with what I take in for nutrition. Hours 1, 3, 5, etc. I do a large water bottle of Perpetuem - 2 scoop = 270 calories. On the alternating hours, 2, 4, etc. I do a Hammerbar and Hammergel. During those hours I do 1/2 a bar at the 15 min. mark. At the 30 min. mark I do a gel and at the 45 min. mark I do the other half of the bar (LOVE the cashew/coconut bar) = 320 calories for those hours. I do a bottle of just water with the bar/gel during those hours.

I find this changes things up for me so every now and then I get the "treat" of having something solid and something that tastes really good to me.

If possible, I do 300-400 calories (breakfast) 2 1/2 - 3 hours before I start the ride and make sure I'm well hydrated before I start.

As soon as I finish I drink another bottle with 2 scoops of Hammer's Recoverite.

I also do what I call a "pill cluster" every 60-90 min. I think I might have shared this a week or two ago but...

The cluster is one or two Electrolytes, one Race Cap Supreme, one Anti-fatigue Cap, one Mito Cap, one Amino Cap and if I want caffeine...I toss in an Excedrin. I can also get caffeine from certain flavors of Hammergels.

I want to experiment with the Perpetuem Solid chewables more. 6 = 200 calories. I've done them at times but to equal one bottle of the liquid Perpetuem / hour, I'd have to eat one about every 7-8 min. during the hours I did them, with of course, a full bottle of water.

Bottom line - about 300 calories / hour is all we can really process and as long as it's premium endurance fuel like Perpetuem, you're golden. Cost is a limiting factor of course for many people, so for long stuff, think Perpetuem and gels and Electrolyte Caps.

Hope this helps a bit. Let me know if anyone has more questions about the Hammer line of products. If you are going to order from Hammer and it's your very first order, if you give them the number, 17654, you'll get 15% off that order. This only applies to your first order. www.hammernutrition.com

Linc

PS - if you're training or racing less than 2 hours, then Hammer's HEED and gels will be fine. If your workout / race is over 2 hours, you need to be using something that also give your protein, which Perpetuem does and Hammerbars do as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment